Although single parent families outnumber nuclear families today the stressors for these parents, siblings, grandparents and children have not changed, in fact life may be even more complex. Challenges may include:
- Visitation and custody problems.
- Continuing conflict between the parents.
- Less opportunity for parents and children to spend time together.
- Effects of the breakup on children’s school performance and peer relation.
- Financial hardship disruptions of extended family relationships.
- Problems caused by the parents’ dating and entering new relationships.
The single parent can help family members face these difficulties by talking with each other about their feelings and working together to tackle problems. When needed, these conversations can be mediated by another family member or professional.
Family members who are still overwhelmed and having problems, may consult a counsellor as to how we cope. How we communicate can make a significant difference in managing a challenging situation.
Learn how to communicate effectively and what to take for and when not to take responsibility.
or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
New Clients Receive a Free 30 Minute Consultation. Let’s Move Forward Together!
Business Hours: 9:00-3:00 PST. Evenings & Weekends Upon Request